Search This Blog

Pageviews past week

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I Believe by Chuck McGlawn 01/15/2005

Wed, 04/06/2011 - 4:19pm

     I believe that the ultimate destination for this world will be peace and prosperity. In an atmosphere of peace and prosperity, humankind is at its most creative and most productive state. I believe that less government is the road toward that destination. I believe that more responsibility is the vehicle that will get us to that destination. Additionally, I believe that the road, the vehicle, and the destination are possible only when Liberty prevails.
     I believe in America’s tradition of personal liberty, individual responsibility, respect for private property, and tolerance of others. I believe these are the time-tested traditions that have made these United States of America the greatest nation on earth. I believe these are the time-proven traditions that have made these United States of America the envy of the world, and the example to be followed by peace-loving peoples of any nation desiring to live free. I believe these traditions had us well along on the road to becoming "one people".
     Then something went wrong. We became a nation contending against itself. The last half of the 20th century saw all manner of divisions. Instead of coming together, which we had been doing very well for the first half of the 20th century, now we see black pitted against white, poor against rich, and youth against age. We even see women somehow contending against men. We see wage earners contending with welfare recipients. We now see citizens contending against immigrants and almost everyone against the Moslems. Strangely we find the Federal Government contending against US Citizens, and vice-versa.
     We seem to have lost control. "Government of the people, for the people and by the people" has, for all practical purposes vanished from our beloved Nation. No matter how we vote, the government gets bigger---more intrusive. No matter how strongly worded the candidates promised to reduce taxes, they continue to rise---and we tax more things? No matter how much more we spend education, test scores continue to drop. No matter which team is in power, the basic necessities of life get more expensive? And there is no end in sight.
     There is a better way. I believe we deserve a life of our own choosing, a life that is not micromanaged by a collection of government bureaucrats that see us as lab rats in one social experiment after another. I believe this should no longer be true, it is time to set our nation back on the road to its once recognized goals of a better life and a better world for everyone.
     I believe in you, and respect you as a competent individual. I believe you deserve more than the “one-size-fits-all” lawmaking that now prevails in the halls of Congress. Please deliver us from those government agencies that feel they can run our lives for us better than we can ourselves.
     I believe in your freedom. The freedom to live and love in your own way, I believe in your freedom to work and play in your own way. Most importantly, I believe in your freedom to dream in your own way, with the full expectation that your dreams can become a reality without government interference. All these, and much more were our clearly recognized goals just a few decades ago.
     I invite you to join in building a society that offers freedom and opportunity. I believe that without these, prosperity and peace are impossible. I believe together we can send a resounding message to all elected officials that we will not settle for anything less than a governmental system that will unleash the teachers to teach and preachers to preach, but most importantly, a system that will unleash the reachers to reach.
[I will be expecting, and; looking for your comments.]

No comments: